Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 03:59:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 739
  • Total Topics: 255
  • Online Today: 14
  • Online Ever: 334
  • (July 01, 2012, 10:57:46 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 9
Total: 9

Welcome

Welcome to the Real Health Forums. Share your stories and thoughts on the many health challenges facing us today. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Real Health Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How much protein do I really need?  (Read 20090 times)

Offline wherebrooklynat?

How much protein do I really need?
« on: October 26, 2007, 02:05:02 pm »
Hi, does anyone have an opinion? I'm male, 6 feet tall, about 200 pounds. I keep hearing that we don't need as much protein as we've been told, only about 30 grams a meal which is like the size of two decks of cards. Is this for real?! I was raised to eat as much meat as possible, but now I'm hearing that the body just converts the stuff to fat.

Offline meanne2007

Re: How much protein do I really need?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 02:30:49 am »
i think you just have to work out with your body. eat vegetables that was rich in protein.

Offline healthfellow

• Health Fellow :: Nourishment, Fitness, Weight Loss, Mental Health, Mens and Womens Health and Tips about health
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 02:43:16 am »
Well, i believe you should have protein as per your work out. See if you do more work out you must have to take more protein. If you don't do much work out then lesser protein will be best for you. Excessive protein without any work around will cause fat

Offline martin.pollack

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 06:03:19 am »
According to me you need to do workouts and with it avoid those food which has fat. Protein is very important for human body. As losing weight is not a big task or difficult task to do. These days a self improving company Mark Patrick Media LLC specializing in Weight Management & Smoking Cessation is running various programs in order to make the people more fit. The programs are just incredible and a new way to get better health. I hope that you would love to know about this. For more info look at my signature.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 06:04:59 am by martin.pollack »

Offline lillywilliam

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 02:54:53 am »
You can have daily one boiled to get proteins it will help you out... but no need to have lots of proteins which leads to cancer doctors have proved it...

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 02:17:36 pm by iana5252 »

Offline Mary Jo

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 06:47:50 am »
A question I hear fairly often is how much protein do I need. Since I have heard many different answers to this question, I have decided to dig into the subject and find out the truth. The US RDA is .8 g of protein per kilogram of bodyweight. I have reviewed the studies on the subject and found you need nearly two times the US RDA. Now you will learn how much you need, and the best time to take it.

First of all, the studies found that protein requirements ranged from 1g per kilogram of bodyweight to 2.8 grams per kilogram. In addition those who perform endurance exercise need more than those who are resistance trainers (weight lifters), and anaerobic athletes.

Here are the ranges I have found. On the low side of the scale is 1 gram per kilogram or .45 grams per pound and on the high side is 2.8 grams per kilogram or 1 gram per pound of bodyweight. I rounded the number off to make it easy to calculate. The majority of studies found you needed over 1.5 grams per kilogram or .7 grams per pound. Since it would be far better the err on the side of caution, it would be better to take in a little extra rather than not taking in enough. Here is what I recommend. For strength athletes and endurance athletes 2.0 grams per kilogram or 1 gram per pound should be more than enough. (8).

Some people suggest that too much protein is possibly dangerous or unhealthy, but I did not find this to be the case in the studies I reviewed. I actually found that protein intake up to 2.8 grams was found to be a safe and had no harmful effects (13).

So, when is the best time to take your protein? Some studies suggest that taking your protein before exercise is best for muscle growth and to prevent catabolism (14). Although this study has several limitations since the sample size was so small, I would personally take my protein before and after exercise. Now you are ready to get on track.

Now you can make sure you get enough protein in you diet. Make sure you get at least 1 gram per pound of body weight. Take your protein before and after you exercise. Now get out there and lift.

Offline Janifer

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 10:19:21 am »
Most research has found that the average person needs about 0.8 grams of protein per kg of body weight. To figure out your daily needs, follow this simple formula:

* Divide your weight in pounds by 2.2 – this is your weight in kilograms.

Example: if you weigh 150 pounds,

150 / 2.2 = 68.2

* Multiply this number by 0.8 – this is the number of grams of protein you need each day.

Example: 68.2 * 0.8g = 54.6;

You would need about 55 grams of protein per day.

Offline wisher

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 12:37:20 am »
it just can happen by when you use vegetables and fruits with milk. all the postings are so informative.

Offline genroxbro

How much protein do I really need
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 05:17:20 pm »
Im not overweight but there are things that I would like to change about my body.

When I was a teenager, I could go for most of the day without eating and not feel hungry. Now, I cant stop eating I always feel the need to snack. Ive been out of high school for 4 years and since then, its like I can get enough to eat Is anyone else like this? People are often surprised when they learn how much food I can eat.

How can I stop snacking especially at my desk at work? Any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 02:17:18 pm by iana5252 »

Offline leesa_lk

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 02:31:03 am »
According to Dr. M. Ted Morter, Jr., of Your Health--Your
Choice, 'the problem with protein is excess'. "Following the
premise, if a little protein is good, a lot is better can
lead you down the garden path to disease."

Dr. Morter suggests keeping your daily animal protein
intake under 47 grams per day (that is less than 2 ounces!)
and keep protein pig-outs limited to rare special occasions.

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.